Cybersecdn- A New York City e-bike store experienced a dangerous fire outbreak, highlighting the risks associated with lithium-ion batteries. The fire, which occurred in a Queens store on January 6, was caused by an overheated lithium-ion battery. The store closed at the time and caught the attention of an upstairs tenant who heard three loud pops followed by the smell of smoke.
Upon investigation, the tenant discovered smoke inside the store. The FDNY responded promptly to the scene, preventing any injuries. Surveillance footage revealed the progression of the fire, which intensified rapidly within just three minutes, filling the store with thick smoke.
The FDNY’s swift action ensured the fire was contained quickly. This incident underscores the growing concern over the safety of e-bikes in New York City. In 2022, over 130 fires were attributed to e-bike and e-scooter batteries, resulting in fatalities and numerous injuries.
One particularly tragic event occurred in June 2023 when a fire in an e-bike shop led to four fatalities after spreading to nearby apartments. Governor Kathy Hochul has indicated plans to propose a ban on the sale of uncertified e-bikes to mitigate these risks. The measure is aimed at ensuring the safety of both riders and the general public.
This incident serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers posed by lithium-ion batteries, especially in densely populated urban areas like New York City. The FDNY’s response highlights the importance of rapid and effective emergency services in such situations.